Quitting smoking is one of the single best things you can do for your health. If you are ready to live a healthier, smoke-free life, 1-800-QUIT-NOW, www.quitnowalabama.com and talking to your doctor are good options.
Health District partner organizations are proud to make smoking cessation resources available. Children’s of Alabama offers nicotine replacement therapy, UAB offers students and employees free tobacco cessation resources, UAB Hospital offers a tobacco consult service and other information and resources to help patients stop smoking, and Southern Research offers employees the opportunity to access the American Cancer Society’s “Quit for Life” tobacco use cessation program.
As these organizations and others expand resources, they will be added here.
Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- The Occupational Health Office (Employee Health) offers tobacco treatment services for employees interested in quitting smoking.
- Smoking cessation programs are offered to veterans.
- Non-veterans, guests and family members are referred to www.quitnowalabama.com or 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
Children’s of Alabama
- Children’s offers the American Cancer Society’s “Quit for Life” tobacco use cessation program to employees and patients.
- Children’s also offers nicotine replacement therapy on-site and promotes smoking cessation resources at the Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Clinic, www.smokefree.gov, www.quitnow.net and www.betobaccofree.gov.
Cooper Green Mercy Health Services
- Medication and counseling are available to employees through insurance.
- Patients who express interest in quitting are prescribed assisting medications and offered counseling referral.
Jefferson County Department of Health
- JCDH refers smokers to www.quitnowalabama.com or 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
- SR is a tobacco-free workplace and provides a tobacco cessation program to employees.
- Southern Research offers the American Cancer Society’s “Quit for Life” tobacco use cessation program to all employees. To enroll, employees can call Quit for Life at 888-768-7848 or visit www.QuitNow.net.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham and UAB Health System
- University Students: UAB Student Affairs Wellness Promotion — Love Your Lungs
- University Employees: UAB Human Resources for Employees
- Patients: UAB Helping Patients Quit Smoking